Thursday, May 13, 2010

One productive day


Today was a productive day. I was free in the morning so I went out and took photos of churches for my web project. I really like some photos of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I would like to on Saturday to talk to anyone that works at the churches to get valuable quotes and information. After that we had another lecture by Dr. Flynn on digital media. He said a few interesting statements about Irish cinema such as 90 percent of tickets sold are for American picture and Europeans don’t go to the cinema as much as Americans. What shocked me the most was a list with the top four reasons why people go online in Ireland. I thought social networking (Twitter, Facebook etc.) would be number one like it is here in America; however, it was number four at 28 percent. Travel information was the first with 51 percent, news and current affairs is second with 38 percent, and online banking is third with 31 percent. Irish websites layout is also a little different than American websites. In Ireland they do not have links that link you to other websites. The links they have only go to other pages on their website. They do this because they are afraid if you go to other websites you wouldn’t come back. The Irish Times is the only website that has a comment section.

After the lecture, we went to an agency called “Photo call.” They started as war photographers that covered the Northern Ireland Conflict. Three years ago they moved to PR. He showed us slide shows of their work in Ireland called “Peace Conflict, “Abortion/divorce,” “Special Conditions in the 80s, and “Poverty and Drugs.” Basically this agency encompassed their history of a boom to now a bust economy. They are very active with talking to clients and selling packages. Overall it was nice to listen to current photographers and how the agency came to be.

Afterwards, the photographers had a special opportunity to meet Paul Kelly, an amazing photographer. I suggest you all Google him. He met with us in a back room of a pub and showed us a lot of his work that he has done from all over the world. I really liked some of his portraits from Guatemala.

I just have to add the picture below to my blog. I meant to add it yesterday when I took them but I forgot. Professor Fabilli saw this candy bar in a vending machine at Dublin City University. He and the rest of the gang thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment