Sunday, May 16, 2010

And it just gets better and BETTER!



Today we visited Wicklow Mountain National Park and St. Kevin’s monastery. I’ve never seen so many Celtic crosses at one time. At St. Kevin’s monastery there are a ton of tombstones that are compacted in a small area. There was also a round tower, a cathedral, a priests’ house, St. Kevin’s cross, and St. Kevin’s church. Overall the area was simply beautiful. I loved listening to stories of St. Kevin especially about the one where he had a girl stalker that he pushed her into a lake which caused her to drown!

The drive from the mountains to Cobh was very long. I think it took us four hours. Almost everyone slept on the bus. The road itself looked just like roads in the U.S but it was the signs that threw me off. When we got to Cobh we stopped at our hotel. The Bella Vista Hotel is so much better than the Saint Augustine apartments that we last stayed at previously. I already love it because there is wireless. I mean just imagine four media students with only one Ethernet connection. That is how it was for us last week. Patience was definitely a virtue. I’ll let you know later if there is hot water here later. As for the look of the room itself, there are two rooms that hold 3 people in each. There is a kitchen and a porch-like room that has a big screen TV.

After we dropped out stuff off we went on a guided titanic walking tour. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable. We told him we were media students and he even took the extra time to add tidbits of information related to the media such Fr. Frank Browne who was a photographer that photographed the Titanic as well as many other things. Our guide also showed us the building where they prepared to load the boats that would take them to get on the Titanic. The weather was great. The sun was setting during the tour, a breeze was in the air and I felt like I was in a totally different world.

We just ate dinner in the restaurant at the hotel. I ate chicken lo mien. It was so filling I couldn’t finish it. I think I’m just going to hang out in the room tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment